When your pet is scheduled for surgery, the staff will review the preparation instructions, as follows:
- Your pet should not be allowed any food or treats after 9:00 p.m. the night before surgery. There is no need to restrict water.
- Hospital admission is from 8:00-8:30 a.m.
- On check-in, you will be asked when your pet was fed last and the staff member will review the treatment plan and surgery/anesthesia consent forms for you to sign.
- You will be asked for a telephone number at which you can be reached at short notice. This is very important not only in the unlikely event of an emergency, but also in case there is need for an
alteration in the treatment plan for which we need your authorization (an example is when teeth need to be extracted beyond what was detected at the examination).
- The order of the procedures for the morning is determined by the doctor based on the type of the procedure, its predicted duration and the age and condition of the pets undergoing procedures.
- When your pet is awake from anesthesia, a staff member will call you. On busy mornings, there may be some delay if we are busy caring for pets. You are welcome to call to check on your pet’s status at any time.
- Discharge is between 3:00-6:00p.m., with some exceptions. At discharge, a staff member will review discharge instructions, which outlines follow-up care.